Case Study, Chapter 1, Health Care Delivery and Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
1. Suzanne Jones, 76-year-old patient with COPD is admitted to the ICU. Mrs. Jones is placed on mechanical ventilation to assist with her breathing. After 2 days on the ventilator, Mrs. Jones is extubated and then transferred to a medical-surgical unit. The medication regimen is adjusted during the hospitalization. Mrs. Jones is discharged home after 6 days. She and her family are pleased with the care she receive in the hospital.
- Describe the quality performance tools that may be used to demonstrate that the care and treatment rendered are both cost-efficient and of high quality.
- Describe the quality performance tools that may be used to demonstrate that the nursing care utilized is evidence-based care and high quality, resulting in patient satisfaction and good patient outcomes.
2. The registered nurse working in the cardiac care clinic is tasked with implementing quality improvement measures. To educate the clinic staff, the nurse plans an in-service program to introduce concepts of quality improvement and evidence-based practice. Additionally, the role of the case manager will be included in the presentation. The nurse plans on using care of the patient with Congestive Heart Failure as a template, and prepares sample clinical pathways, care maps, and multidisciplinary action plans.
- Describe how clinical pathways are used to coordinate care of caseloads of patients.
- What is the role of the case manager in evaluating a patient’s progress?
- What are examples of evidence-based practice tools used for planning patient care?